All students are valued and encouraged to achieve to the best of their ability.
Learning Support at JFC covers a wide area. The following groups are offered support in their studies:
– Students with a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN)
– Students whose first language is not English, and who need support in learning English
– Students with special needs who are not on the SEN register but who need support in some of their lessons, especially with literacy
– Students with emotional and/or behavioral difficulties which hinder learning
– Students with physical disabilities
How do we support these students?
Provision to meet the variety of special needs in the college is made through:
– One-to-One tuition
– Differentiation by the teacher within lessons
– Intensive reading programs
– Withdrawal from lessons, or in-class support, for students whose first language is not English.
– The opportunity for more able students to take part in extension classes and activities, including provision out of school
– Pastoral Support Officers and Learning Mentors who give students individual attention to help them improve and overcome any barriers to their learning
– The programs for all students with additional needs are carefully planned. “Inclusion plans and procedures are excellent, enabling true equality of opportunity for all students”.